group of students listening to instruction

Apply to Harford

College is one of the most exciting times of your life and to be honest, we can't wait to help you get started.

If you are taking a non-credit class or program you do NOT have to fill out an application to the College. Registration for noncredit classes can be found here.

All credit students must submit an application to attend Harford Community College. It only takes a few minutes to complete and there is no application fee. If you need to pause while filling it out, everything will be saved so you can return to it later. Make sure you have your personal information (Social Security Number OR Individual Tax Identification Number, Mailing Address, Phone Numbers, Email), emergency contact information, and intended program of study (your major) before you begin.

After submitting your application, expect to receive an electronic acceptance letter, typically within one week, via the personal email address you provided on the application.

Have questions? Click the green chat icon in the lower left corner to live chat with an admissions rep or to leave a message for them during off hours.

Special Requirements

Although most students will complete the standard application, there are specific requirements for students who fall into one of the categories below. If you are one of those students, refer to the dropdown instructions before you begin. 


Students wishing to apply to the nursing program should refer to Apply to Nursing for complete nursing admission details.

Harford County Public School Students:
Review the Dual Enrollment info for HCPS students and contact your school counselor before proceeding.

All Students:

Fill out the Harford Community College application.  This is a one-time process while you are in high school. If you have already taken a dual enrollment course you may skip this step.
NOTE: Your social security number will be required. 

You will receive an acceptance email, via the address you provided on your application, within 5 business days. If you do not receive the email, email admissions with your full name and birthdate 

Contact admissions before proceeding.

Prior to applying, prospective students under the age of 16 must:

Prove College Readiness* by submitting qualifying scores to the attention of the Office of Admissions. Tests include SAT, ACT, PARCC, AP or IB tests.


Email the Test Center and arrange to take an Academic Skills Assessment (Accuplacer). They will provide you will information and an appointment time.

If scores determine you test at a college level in reading, writing, and math, you will then schedule an appointment to meet with the Assistant Director of Admissions and an academic advisor. Together they will help you complete an application for admission, attend an advising session, and review a checklist for applying. We strongly encourage a parent or guardian to attend.

*Proving College Readiness with qualifying test scores meets COMAR (state) regulations on college admission for students under the age of 16: "Students under 16 years of age are not to be admitted to an institution of higher education, unless they are deemed 'gifted and talented'." Harford Community College defines gifted and talented as any student under the age of 16 who can assess at college level reading, writing and math."

Before applying to Harford Community College, out-of-state online students must read and agree to the terms and information set forth by the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. If you have questions, please contact Admissions at 443.412.2109 or before you apply.

Permanent Residents, Refugees, and Asylees of the U.S. are strongly encouraged to complete an Application for Admission in person at the Admissions Office. Applicants MUST provide proof of their valid immigration status in person to complete their application. Photocopies of immigration documents will not be accepted.

Applicants who hold visas in a category other than F-1 (student visa), such as B-1/B-2, J-1, H-1B, MUST complete a paper Application for Admission and present proof of their valid immigration status in person at the time of application. Photocopies of immigration documents will not be accepted.

Applicants who are undocumented non-US citizens—individuals that do not have valid documentation of their immigration status—MUST complete a paper Application for Admission and will be charged the out-of-state tuition rate. Maryland Senate Bill 167 (also known as the MD Dream Act) provides the opportunity for some undocumented non-U.S. citizens who attended high school in Maryland to receive in-state tuition (in-county or out-of-county tuition rates). In order to qualify for this exemption, please refer to the Eligibility Guidelines of the MD Dream Act.

International Students must complete an International Student Application.

Applying for an F-1 visa

Learn about admissions requirements for students currently living outside of the U.S. and for international athletes (new and transfer students).

Transferring to HCC

Transfer requirements for current F-1 students in the U.S. who wish to transfer to Harford Community College.

Other Non-U.S. Citizens

Application information for other non-U.S. citizens, including Permanent Residents and Refugees/Asylees.

Applying for a COS

Find out the admissions requirements and steps for applying for a Change of Status (COS) from your current nonimmigrant visa to F-1.

Visiting F-1 Students

Application information and requirements for F-1 students at another college who wish to take one class at Harford Community College.

Jeanne Goss, Academic Advisor for Admissions and PDSO (Primary Designated SEVIS Official)

What's Next?

Once you've been accepted, take time to congratulate yourself for all you've done to get to this point. It's a big accomplishment!

Now it's time to explore our programs, apply for financial aid, learn about the various ways courses are offered, and consider all of your options. When you are ready to enroll, the following will need to be completed based on your student type.

Set up your OwlNet account (the online portal used for registration, email, and communication from the College) using the information provided in your acceptance email.

Email to request a meeting with an Admissions Specialist to discuss your courses and schedule. Once you have spoken with an Admissions Specialist, you are ready to register for classes on OwlNet.

Request your high school transcripts    

NOTE: Students with qualifying scores  on SAT, ACT, PARCC, Accuplacer, GED, AP or IB tests OR  have a high school cumulative GPA of 3.0 (unweighted) may be considered College and Career Ready, and are therefore exempt from placement testing. You must request that your scores be sent to Harford Community College for review.

Once you confirm that transcripts and test scores (if applicable) have been sent, allow 5 business days for processing and review and then email with your name and H-number (found in your acceptance letter). An admissions specialist will contact you to discuss whether placement testing is required as well as next steps.

Complete placement testing
If you need to take the Accuplacer® placement test, contact the Test Center to schedule a time.

Once all of the above are complete, an admissions specialist will verify everything and provide you with a link to schedule a My Academic Plan (MAP) session*. This is where you will meet one-on-one with an academic advisor to review your classes and register for the classes. Currently MAP sessions are conducted on MS Teams. At this point you’ll be ready for Orientation!

*NOTE: Readmit students who have taken college-level English and math courses should directly contact Advising, Career, and Transfer services to schedule their My Academic Plan session.


Submit your official transcripts to to be evaluated. The process typically takes three weeks and you will receive an email via your OwlMail account when they are completed.

Once completed, schedule an appointment to meet with your academic advisor to discuss aan academic plan and to determine if you need to take the academic skills assessment test.

For questions and more information about transferring and transcripts, review Transferring to Harford which covers how to: 

• submit transcripts
• determine which credits from your prior institution  will transfer to Harford
• get an exemption or take placement tests
• schedule a meeting and review an academic plan with an advisor
• get answers to frequently asked questions.

CONTACT Admissions to confirm that your application has been processed and you are cleared to register. Go to the My Academic Life tab in OwlNet, then click Student Registration on the left.

CONTACT Admissions

If you are pursuing a degree program:

Provide official or unofficial transcripts with a conferment/graduation date or a picture of your college diploma to show you have earned a college degree.

Provide the Admissions Office with the phone number you prefer to be used when an Academic Advisor calls to set up your academic program planning session

If you are NOT pursuing a degree:

Provide official or unofficial transcripts with a conferment/graduation date or a picture of your college diploma to show you have earned a college degree.